Post updated on: March 13, 2019
Maybe you’ll agree with me when I say:
Getting a license in the Philippines is a challenge. But it is less of a challenge than driving itself.
And before you are allowed to drive your own private vehicle, you need to have a Non-professional driver’s license.
Below are what you need to obtain a Non-professional driver’s license:
The qualifications, requirements, and step-by-step procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS you need to apply for a Non-professional driver’s license.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle
- Must be literate in either Filipino, English or local dialect
- Must be a holder of a valid student permit
- Must be clean, neat and presentable (don’t wear underskirt/sando alone, sports shorts, and slippers during examinations and picture-taking)
For foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for one month minimum with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one year from day of application.
Below are list of REQUIREMENTS you need for a Non-professional driver’s license application.
- Student permit (at least 1 month old to be valid)
- Filled out driver’s license application form (ADL) [Download ADL form here]
- Medical Certificate (hard copy) stating that you are physically and mentally fit to drive a vehicle. This must be issued by an accredited LTO medical clinic and registered physician. (A copy of the certificate must be electronically uploaded by the clinic/physician to the LTO IT system)
- Must have passed the written (click here to prepare for your LTO exam) and practical examinations*.
*Applicants who fail the Basic Driving Theory Test and/or the Practical Driving Test twice shall not be allowed to apply for the same within a period of 1 year. An applicant who fails either of the tests for the third time will not be allowed to apply for a period of 2 years.
For foreigners, original and photocopy of both passport and visa; or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate authenticated by NSO.
STEPS and PROCEDURES to obtain a Non-professional driver’s license.
- In your nearest LTO licensing center, proceed to the customer service counter and secure a driver’s license application form. You can also download the ADL form here and have it filled out before transacting to any LTO office.
- Get a checklist of requirements and a queue number from LTO customer service counter and wait for your number to be called.
- Once your number is called, go to the evaluator counter to submit all the required documents and have it checked for completeness and authenticity.
- When your name is called, proceed to where your photo and signature would be taken.
- Go to the cashier and pay the application fee.
- Proceed to the Lecture Room for the lecture and written exam.
- After you’ve passed the practical exam, proceed to the waiting area and go to the cashier once your name is called and pay for all the necessary fees to obtain an official receipt (OR)
- Proceed to the releasing counter once your name is called and present the OR to claim your non-professional driver’s license.
Any licensing center and district/extension office that accepts new driver’s license transactions.
Fees and charges
|Fees and charges||Amount in Php|