Do you want to drive for a living in the Philippines?
A professional driver’s license is one of the main things that you’ll need to have. This will allow you to drive a tricycle, jeep, taxi, bus, etc. (depending on the license restriction).
If you’re looking forward to having a Professional driver’s license then…
Check out the qualifications, requirements, and procedures below to obtain one.
QUALIFICATIONS you need to apply for a Professional driver’s license
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle
- Must be literate in either Filipino or English
- Must be clean, neat and presentable (don’t wear underskirt/sando alone, sports shorts, and slippers during examinations and picture-taking)
- If applying for RC 1, 2 4, and 6: must have a valid Student Permit or Non-Professional Driver’s License that was issued 6 months before application; if applying for RC 3, 5, 7, and 8: must have a valid Non-Professional Driver’s License that was issued 1 year before application
- Must not have a record of two (2) or more counts of driving recklessly during the validity of existing licenseNote:For foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for one month minimum with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one year from day of application.
REQUIREMENTS you need for a Professional driver’s license application
- If applying for RC 1, 2 4, and 6 – a valid Student Permit or Non-Professional Driver’s License that was issued 6 months before application; if applying for RC 3, 5, 7, and 8 – a valid Non-Professional Driver’s License that was issued 1 year before application
- Filled out driver’s license application form (ADL) [Download ADL form here]
- Medical Certificate (hard copy) stating that you are physically and mentally fit to drive a vehicle. This must be issued by an accredited LTO medical clinic and registered physician. (A copy of the certificate must be electronically uploaded by the clinic/physician to the LTO IT system)
- Taxpayer’s identification number (TIN)
- Valid National Bureau Investigation (NBI) or Philippine National Police (PNP) clearance
- Must have passed written (click here for a FREE LTO reviewer) practical driving exam.
For foreigners, original and photocopy of both passport and working visa with a duration of at least one (1) year from application date; or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate authenticated by NSO.
STEPS and PROCEDURES to obtain a Professional driver’s license
- In your nearest LTO licensing center, proceed to the customer service counter and secure a driver’s license application form. You can also download the ADL form here and have it filled out before transacting to any LTO office.
- Get a checklist of requirements and a queue number from LTO customer service counter and wait for your number to be called.
- Once your number is called, go to the evaluator counter to submit all the required documents and have it checked for completeness and authenticity.
- When your name is called, proceed to where your photo and signature would be taken.
- Go to the cashier and pay the application fee.
- Wait for your name to be called for the practical exam.
- After you’ve passed the practical exam, proceed to the waiting area and go to the cashier once your name is called and pay for all the necessary fees to obtain an official receipt (OR)
- Proceed to the releasing counter once your name is called and present the OR to claim your Professional driver’s license.
If it makes it easier for you, here’s an infographic:
Any licensing center and district/extension office that accepts new driver’s license transactions.
Fees and charges
|Fees and charges||Amount in Php|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a driver's license a professional license?
Yes, but only if your license is a Professional drivers license as there are three types of driver licenses in the Philippines:
- Student Permit license
- Non-professional license
- Professional license
What is a professional license?
A professional driver’s license is an official document that authorizes a person to drive public utility vehicles (PUV) such as tricycle, taxi, jeepney, bus, truck, or become a chauffeur for any lucrative purpose.
How much is a professional the driver's license in Philippines?
The total cost of a student permit is ₱820.26.